Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Will be updating shortly
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeTue 2 Oct - 4:37 by Christine

» O,M,G its been to long
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeWed 11 May - 16:43 by Mandie-lee

» God bless you all
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeSun 14 Nov - 16:03 by Chris_2

» COME ON LADIES UPDATES PLEASE
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeThu 23 Sep - 14:38 by Tanika

» Psoriasis Herbal Treatment
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug - 11:43 by Chris_2

» WHERE DID ME POST GO???
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeTue 17 Aug - 13:02 by Bernie

» Hope your day was good wishful soul
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeSun 1 Aug - 12:26 by Terrie

» My gosh it has been a while
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeSun 1 Aug - 12:25 by Terrie

» CHRISTINE HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR WEEKEND X
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeFri 9 Jul - 14:56 by Tamsyn

» Loved this lol
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeMon 5 Jul - 11:54 by Janine

» Hi !!!
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeSat 26 Jun - 17:11 by Mandie-lee

» Thought i was never to get back in here
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeThu 6 May - 14:16 by Terrie

» Thinking of you Ros xxxxx
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeWed 5 May - 16:13 by Shanie

» Please tell us where the dove is
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr - 17:30 by GOLDIE

» MOTHERS LOVE
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeSun 14 Mar - 16:42 by Mandie-lee

» HIYA GIRLS
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeMon 8 Mar - 16:40 by GOLDIE

» Cute Puppy whistles
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeThu 4 Mar - 9:07 by Nan

» changing the theme for Xmas
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeTue 2 Feb - 11:50 by Janine

» Checking In!
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeTue 2 Feb - 11:48 by Janine

» Hearts of love
Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan - 7:17 by Deanne

Outside Links

Forum Promotion

Don't Prejudge Teens in Care

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lucky_star
Admin
lucky_star

Number of posts : 294
Job/hobbies : Wonderwoman
Humor : Got one somewhere
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Empty
PostSubject: Don't Prejudge Teens in Care   Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep - 16:16

by: Venetta Dent

People have the wrong idea about children and young adults in the foster care system. Most people feel that the youth in foster care are troubled, hardened, aggressive, delinquent, irresponsible, and, in some aspects, dangerous.
In the past I would have agreed with these stereotypical beliefs. However, three years ago my negative perception was altered when I found myself living within the same system I prejudged.
At the age of three, I was left to deal with the perplexity of not knowing or living with my biological parents. My biological mother and father died for reasons that are still unclear to me. I was left in the custody of my father's ex-wife. I lived with her and her three older children. For years I grew up in a household where I felt uncomfortable and not completely accepted.
My family was not supportive of the goals I wanted to set for my life. I wanted to do more with my life, including graduating from high school, going to college, and having a job.
After years of being mistreated, isolated, and alienated, I left home at the age of 15. 1 knew in my heart that it was in my best interest to seek aid and support elsewhere. Thus, I ended up in the foster care system. This was the best decision I could have made because it gave me an opportunity to live with a supportive and motivating caregiver.
Through all the challenges I have faced, I made it my duty to continue to succeed. I wanted to be surrounded by peers who had similar goals and agendas. In the homes that I have lived, I have had the blessing to meet others who have shared similar experiences and have had the desire to live healthy and productive lives. Many of them attend school, are working, and are aspiring to live independently. I realize that foster care will not change who I am, but it is up to me to help change the stereotypical perspectives.
Foster care has changed the way I view life in general, and the way that life can be lived apart from one's biological family. I am comfortable with the fact that I was able to accomplish all that I did, namely graduating high school early, being a leader, youth activist, and role model for my peers in my community, and attending college while in foster care. I am now a second-semester freshman at Bard College, a four-year liberal arts school.
There are more youth in foster care who are hardworking, dedicated, and determined, but because of stereotypes they go unnoticed. The public should know that youth in foster care are striving to become successful and productive. They should know that it takes the support of the public alongside the caseworkers to positively influence their lives.
Venetta Dent, 18, was a 1999 prize winner in the Child Welfare Fund Awards for Youth in Foster Care contest in New York. Order a copy of the book from Foster Care Youth United.
Back to top Go down
Purple

Purple

Number of posts : 8
Job/hobbies : Foster Carer / Administrator
Humor : Dry but definately present!
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Don't Prejudge Teens in Care   Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeFri 24 Oct - 13:48

Hug What a wonderful post. Congratulations on your inner strength and being a shining example.

I won't digress from your post, but just say that I will remember your story whenever I meet a YP that could be 'pre-judged' like this. Sadly it's not only teens.
Back to top Go down
Chris_2
Chris_2

Number of posts : 117
Job/hobbies : Slave to the home lol
Humor : Oh yes very lol
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Don't Prejudge Teens in Care   Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitimeFri 24 Oct - 15:53

Yes excellent post..
clap
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't Prejudge Teens in Care   Don't Prejudge Teens in Care Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don't Prejudge Teens in Care
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Area :: Parenting Teens (12-17)-
Jump to: